Stanton Peele is a psychologist who has changed the addiction field.
He has pioneered, among other things, the idea that addiction occurs with a range of experiences, recognition of natural recovery from addiction, and the harm reduction approach to addiction.
Created in 1996, this website is one of the oldest in the world. The goal then was the same as it is today: To make Stanton Peele's writings and ideas available to a large audience, for free if possible.
Please see the Online Library for a large collection of articles and book chapters written by Stanton Peele, or visit the Bookstore for his books. Stanton's Life Process Program is available as an online addiction program.
Stanton's latest work
- The Truth We Won’t Admit: Drinking Is Healthy
- My Hostile Breakfast With Gabor Maté
- These “New Face of Heroin” Stories Are Just the Old Face of Racism
- The Future of Addiction: My Predictions for the Next 40 Years
- Can We All Stop Pretending That Motivational Interviewing Is Compatible With the 12 Steps?
- Why we need to stop Nora Volkow from taking over the world
- Recover! Stop Thinking Like an Addict and Reclaim Your Life with The PERFECT Program. Berkeley: Da Capo Press.
- A step too far? Drugs and Drink News, April 14, 2014.
- Addiction myths. RSA Fellowship Spring, 2012.
Stanton’s 40-Year Addiction Report Card
Stanton began working on Love and Addiction (which was published in 1975) in 1970. In these forty years he has predicted a remarkable number of addiction trends. By now it is clear that the way in which Stanton has reframed addiction for the past four decades – sometimes facing extreme opposition – has been prescient. Addiction is not a consequence of taking drugs and drinking. Rather, it arises from the way in which these and other compelling activities fit into people’s lives and meanings.