Treatment and Natural Remission
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Peele, S. (1985), Behavior therapythe hardest way: Controlled drinking and natural remission from alcoholism. In G.A. Marlatt et al., Abstinence and controlled drinking: Alternative treatment goals for alcoholism and problem drinking? Bulletin of the Society of Psychologists in Addictive Behaviors, 4, 141-147.
- Peele, S. (1985), What treatment for addiction can do and what it can't; What treatment for addiction should do and what it shouldn't. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2, 225- 228.
- Peele, S. (1990), Research issues in assessing addiction treatment efficacy: How cost effective are Alcoholics Anonymous and private treatment centers? Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 25 (1990)179-182.
- Peele, S. (1991, December), What we now know about treating alcoholism and other addictions. Harvard Mental Health Letter, pp. 5-7, reprinted in R. Hornby (Ed.), Alcohol and Native Americans. Rosebud, SD: Sinte Gleska University, pp. 91-94
- Peele, S. (1998, Spring), Ten radical things NIAAA research shows about alcoholism. The Addictions Newsletter (The American Psychological Association, Division 50), 5(2), pp. 6; 17-19.
- Peele, S. (1999), Foreword. In: Robert Granfield and William Cloud, Coming clean: Overcoming addiction without treatment. New York: NYU Press, pp. viii-xii.
- Peele, S. (2010), Foreword. In: Coy, A.L. (2010), From Death Do I Part: How I Freed Myself From Addiction. Three In The Morning Press.
- Peele, S. (2016), People Control Their Addictions. No matter how much the “chronic” brain disease model of addiction indicates otherwise, we know that people can quit addictions—with special reference to harm reduction and mindfulness. Addictive Behaviors Reports (2016), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.abrep.2016.05.003
- Peele, S. (1983, September/October), Out of the habit trap: Five stages to freedom. American Health, pp. 42-47.
- Peele, S. (1984, printemps-été), Hors du piège de l'habitude. Pshychotropes, Vol. I, No 3, pp. 19-23.
- Peele, S. (1996, September/October), Recovering from an all-or-nothing approach to alcohol. Psychology Today, pp. 35-43, 68-70.
- Peele, S. (1998, March/April), All wet. The gospel of abstinence and twelve-step, studies show, is leading American alcoholics astray. The Sciences, pp. 17-21.
- Peele, S. (1999, March/April), John Allen of the NIAAA's response to Stanton Peele's article on Project MATCH in 'The Sciences'. The Sciences, 3; pp. 46-47.
- Peele, S. (2001, Summer), Change is natural. This is why therapists and helpers must embrace natural processes. SMART Recovery News & Views, pp. 7-8.
- Peele, S. (2002, Summer), What is harm reduction and how do I practice it? SMART Recovery News & Views, pp. 5-6.
- Peele, S. (2002, August), Harm reduction in clinical practice. Counselor: The Magazine for Addiction Professionals, pp. 28-32.
- Peele, S. (2004, May-June), The surprising truth about addiction. Psychology Today, pp. 43-46.
- Peele, S. (2002, May), Hungry for the next fix. Behind the relentless, misguided search for a medical cure for addiction. Reason, pp. 32-36.
- Peele, S. (2004, July), De verrassende waarheid over verslaving. Spuit 11.
- McCarley, A., & S. Peele (2006, February 2), Author's true milestone lost in controversy. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Peele, S. (1990, March 14), Cures depend on attitudes, not programs. Los Angeles Times.
- Peele, S. (1997, January 26), Don't reward what doesn't work. Addiction: Harvard honors the U.S. drug czar and others for pursuing failed treatments. Are we ready for contrary messages? Los Angeles Times, p. M5.
- Peele, S. (2000), Downey's relapse no surprise. Daily Record (Morris County, NJ), Friday, Dec 10.
- Peele, S. (2007), Bad advice for Lindsay Lohan. Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, August 7.
- Peele, S. (1997, May-June), Bait and switch in project MATCH: What NIAAA research actually shows about alcohol treatment. In PsychNews International, Vol. 2.
- Peele, S. (1999, March), Maturing out. AOL Addiction and Recovery Forum.
- Peele, S. (2000, March 12), In the Belly of the American Society of Addiction Medicine Beast. The Stanton Peele Addiction Website.
- Peele, S. (2015, June), Stanton Peele and Natural Recovery. The Stanton Peele Addiction Website.
- Peele, S., & A. McCarley (2006, February), James Frey Told One Essential Truth. The Stanton Peele Addiction Website.
- Peele, S., & A. McCarley (2006, February), James Frey’s One True Thing. The Stanton Peele Addiction Website.