Diseasing of America
How We Allowed Recovery Zealots and the Treatment Industry to Convince Us We Are Out of Control
©1989, 1995 by Stanton Peele
ISBN # 0-028-74014-9 (pbk)
published by Lexington/Jossey-Bass
A barbarian . . . [is one who] thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.
George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra
- Preface to the Paperback Edition
- Original Preface and Acknowledgements
- Why Addiction is Not a Disease
And Why We Should Care that It Not Be Treated as Such
- Alcoholism in America
How We Discovered that Alcohol Is Addictive and that So Many People Are Alcoholics
- Who Says What the Truths about Alcoholism Are?
- Transforming the Addict into a Role Model, and the Person into an Addict
- The Addiction Treatment Industry
- What Is Addiction, and How Do People Get It?
Values, Intentions, Self-Restraint, and Environments
- How People Quit Addictions, Usually on Their Own
- Our Confusion over Law, Morality, and Addiction
- How We Lost Control of Our World
- Creating a World Worth Living In
Community, Efficacy, and Values